Monday, January 10, 2011

Photo of the Week

Well, I came back from Egypt with over 6GB [yes, that's gigabytes] of photos.  Well, mostly photos but some videos as well, which I don't know what to do with.  As I'm not ready to shelve my vacation just yet, I thought I would share some of the photographs that I haven't had a chance to share yet.  




This is the interior of the Mohammad Ali Mosque located within the citadel compound.  Here are a few facts about this mosque:
- Designed by Greek Architect Yusuf Bushtaq
- Begun in 1830, finished in 1837 by Mohammad Ali Pasha
- Also known as the Alabaster Mosque as that material was used extensively in it's construction
- This is considered an Ottoman-style mosque, with it's slender minarets
- The dome is 170 feet above the floor; the chandelier above is centered on the dome

1 comment:

  1. I loved this mosque! It's a little like the interior of the mosques in istanbul. Loved that central chandelier.

    ReplyDelete