Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jordan - On the way to Petra

Saturday, November 27, 2010

View from Karak castle
I was not ready to leave Egypt, but with the Egypt Air change fee being what it was, I decide to stick to my plan, and continue on to Jordan . It is another early morning wake-up call, this time at 5:30 AM for a 6:15 AM pickup. After 8 days of clear skies, today it is overcast, or foggy, or maybe even smoggy. 

I am flying Egypt Air out of Cairo to Amman, and there are two gate changes before we, along with a couple of hundred other people, are shuttled to this tiny gate area reminiscent of Toronto Pearson's flights to Hartford Connecticut. Anyhow, we can guess that the delays are due to the fog-like weather outside, but there are no announcements. About two hours later, our plane finally starts boarding, and we are bussed out to our waiting aircraft. I love foreign airlines - they still feed you. We get three drinks and breakfast on our one hour flight to Amman, as we pass over stunning scenery and the Red Sea coastline [at least I think it's the Red Sea]. 
Street on the way to Karak

Karak Castle
I land in Amman, but see noone with my name.... Hmmm, quick stop at information, and the guys there are looking at me like I'm crazy because I want to go to Petra by bus and in their helpful but overbearing way, inform me I should take a taxi. I call the hotel in Petra, and arrange a pricey taxi ride, with a stop at the ruins of the Crusader castle of Karak along the way. About 20 minutes after the call, the driver, Naeem, arrives with the best taxi I've gotten in thus far - automatic windows, no smoke smell, leather seats and air conditioning! Along the way I find out that he and his family live in Madaba and he worked in Dubai and had a glass factory, during the boom times, but that he sold out when the times turned. 

Passageways
I forgo lunch to wander around the castle ruins for about 90 minutes, then we are off again, via the King's highway this time, to Petra. A quick word on Karak: crusader castle mostly in ruins, but you can see why it was such an important stronghold as it's position affords it a great view, and some pretty significant military advantage. 

It takes another 2-1/2 hours with the twisty, turney roads and uphills and downhills, until we arrive in Petra. One stop along the way was the overlook down into the Dana Wildlife Reserve, looking out into Wadi Araba, I believe. Four days later, I would look again on the other side of this view as we drove north on the Dead Sea road. Incredible both times. 

On the way to Petra
We arrived in Petra just as the sun was setting, casting a wonderful glow on the hills and making for a great introduction for the next day. The Sun Set Hotel, though, I would compare to a Motel 6 - no frills, good location and cheap price. The Wifi was only working in the lounge area only, but it existed. I would put up with the smokey atmosphere and the constant TV noise, and this would be home for the next two nights. 
Dana Reserve

A quick wander down the "Tourist Street" and I find the Petra visitor's center and the revised price of the entry fee makes my eyes pop... 75USD??? Are they serious?! The pyramids are only 60LE, 100LE if you want to enter. Even the Valley of Kings was not this much.  But I'm already here, and unfortunately, the price of the entry ticket would not have postponed my visit. I just feel a little taken advantage off, but oh well.  

Wadi Musa - by the entry to Petra
Early night for a change, as tomorrow it's off to Petra bright and early, before the tour buses arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment